The following provides a few definitions of ‘happiness’.
Happiness is an inner quality; a state of mind; it is peace of mind. If your mind is at peace, you are happy. If your mind is at peace, but you have nothing else, you can be happy. If you have everything the world can give – pleasure, possessions, power – but lack peace of mind, you can never be happy.
Normal happiness is the belief that happiness exists outside of ourselves; it is a matter of the ego-self looking to the world to determine happiness.
Normal happiness is something than comes and goes. As we work to achieve it, we can increase it to a degree, but much of what gives us peace of mind is out of our control. So, normal happiness can come and go.
True happiness is the belief that happiness exists within ourselves; it is a matter of the ego-self looking to one’s true-self to determine happiness.
True happiness is happiness that continues in you over time. It is independent of the things that are currently happening in your life. True happiness rest in our spirituality and must be developed over time. To obtain true happiness requires effort to change the way we are in the world. The following articulates some of these changes:
Being limited by our beliefs TO living beyond our beliefs
Holding onto the past TO letting go of the past
Living an unfulfilling life TO living a meaningful and fulfilling life
Improving and accepting ourselves
Looking for and giving love
Simplifying our life
Dr. Mark Atkinson has an interesting view of happiness that seems to correlate with the Bible. See his website for information.
- Google: happiness definition
- In Defense of Sadness: Happiness Is Overrated by Eric G. Wilson
- The Trouble with Happiness by Jill Suttie
- Google: normal happiness
- Google: true happiness definition
- An Introduction to True Happiness by Dr. Mark Atkinson
- What Is True Happiness? by Sandra Pawula
- 54 Ways to Increase Your Happiness Set Point by Amit Amin
- Discover True Happiness ; Dr. Mark Atkinson
- Mark Atkinson; Self-Leadership
- True Happiness; Amazon book
- The Power of Spiritual Intelligence; “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.” Teilhard de Chardin
- Look at the Happiness section of a themes list.